Sometimes, ideas come to me at the most inconvenient times, but if I don’t write something down, I have a habit of ‘moving on’, and perhaps don’t think of it again for a while – perhaps even a year or two …
This morning is earmarked for packing up the van ready for a weekend away, dressing up in 17th century clothes and giving a public display – that might (or might not) include a small battle. However, I got the Green Friars instead, when thoughts about old-fashioned ‘slang’ names (such as White Friars, Drey Friars, Black Friars) for different group of community monks coincided with thoughts about the game, religious developments and the Narlemarch. And who knows when that strange mix is going to happen again?
Even so, I DO need to get ready for the weekend – so just a brief overview.
The Green Friars
The Green Friars are the most influential political force in the Southern Region although they, as a group, would deny that they had any political motivation at all. However, their philosophies are adhered to, and enforced almost all the way from the Brevoy Border (Bar-Z) right the way though the Narlemarch to Old Keep, and possibly beyond.
Composed of Druids, Clerics, Rangers and Adepts, dedicated to several deities, they all value the benefits of the natural world above the civilizing influences of large towns and cities. Small towns and villages are OK … But wilderness is important and should outnumber the small developments at the core. They aren’t all about wilderness and wild animals – but they are all about people living in harmony with their natural surroundings. Hunters, Fishers, Foragers, Woodsmen, Loggers1, Farmers2 and Beekeepers are all welcome, as are many other trades, so long as they respect the local environment.
They all have a tendency to wear dark green cloaks when they are out an about, generally with the symbol of their deity on the left breast. Influential members of this supposedly informal group include …
- Zelona, March-Lord of Old Keep (Druid of Gozerah)
- Loy Rezbin, Governor of Tatzleford (Ranger)
- Laticia, Mayor of Tatzleford (Cleric of Erastil)
- Aris’ta Devo, Commander of Hunters Rest (Ranger)
- Rook Sanderson of Elkwall (Ranger and Cleric of Erastil)
- Zorah of Bar-Z (Druid of the Green)
- Maril of Grenal (Adept of the Green)
- Forest Friendly Loggers take selected timbers in ways that do not damage the forest or the local ecology.
- Forest Friendly Farmers cultivate crops that don’t need clearance for fields and farm forest friendly stock animals, such as pigs and chickens